One of the most outrageous titles of a television just got to my attention, and it is called "Good Christian Bitches." What is interesting is that this title attacks anywhere from 60-76% of their market because that's how many call themselves Christians. Rather than get angry at the title, this is a grand opportunity to get ahead of the game.
Since ABC is owned by Disney, they need the discretionary income for people to attend their parks, hotels, restaurants, and other recreational facilities. Why would anyone, regardless of religion, attend any of these business knowing that their religion could be mocked next? Disney has apparently approved this stupid show and it's offensive title which has been watered down a little
I suggest that all of us stop purchasing anything that has to do with the ABC network, it's affiliates, its advertizers, and any product or service associated with that network until that show is gone.
Here are some suggestions:
- Cancel any plans to go to any of the Disney parks. You could spend your money more productively anyway, but why give them any business when they have completely offended you. You don't need to be entertained that badly.
- Do not watch anything on ABC; period. There are other places to go to be entertained. By not watching, their ratings will go down and the amount they can charge for advertising will collapse.
- Do not buy the products from any advertiser on ABC. You can "Google" "advertisers on ABC" and get a current list of them. You can send them a letter, but the most effective way would be to just stop buying their products. When the advertisers see their sales go down then you'll know that you're being effective. Buy their competitor's products.
- For instance, there may be one major company which owns a bunch of smaller companies, so try not to purchase those products either. This may take some research, but the key here is to stop feeding these companies.
- ABC news is now a part of Yahoo. Don't use Yahoo until you feel this show is gone.
Now, you won't be able to boycott all of the products, such as your cell phone, but just remember that you have a choice (at least for now) with whom you spend your money. Most of these companies would not want to offend their markets, but lately it seems as though a few giant corporations are going out of their way to offend everyone. Make them pay the price of no more business from you.
Walter Allen Thompson is the author of The Grace of Repentance: Keeping God's Commandments